I suppose I should start with the waterwheel. It is in the
I suppose I should explain the basics of our waterwheel-driven spiral pump. The waterwheel uses the power from the river to turn two spirals of polypipe that scoop up river water. Each time the wheel turns, the water is forced further down the coil and compresses the air that is also present in the spiral. At the innermost coil the air is so compressed that the pressure is high enough to force the water up the bank and into a large tank from where it then flows to a series of washbasins. (I post photos once I find some decent internet.) The volume of water being pumped is also less than we would like, but it has been great to see people using the basins for washing, bathing and collecting water. We (i.e. the welders, though I did use the grinder once and didn’t grind off an appendage!) are now in the process of constructing a much larger waterwheel so that we can pump water to the roof of the parish house, about
In other exciting news, there are puppies at the parish house! We have no idea what kind of dogs they are, but they are super cute. They have only been here for a couple days and are still pretty timid, though they enjoyed chasing some children around the yard yesterday afternoon. They will be killing snakes (the real reason Fr. Michele wanted dogs in the first place) in no time. Their names are Luna and Pluto. I randomly suggested calling them Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers—Fred and Ginger for short, of course—but apparently in Zambia it is quite insulting to give a dog the same name as a human (insinuating that the human is like a dog I guess) and there is a Fred just down the road, so those names were vetoed and we went for the space theme instead. In all honesty, after hearing the no-giving-dogs-human-names rule I was a bit unsure of what we could call them since there appears to be no limit to what someone can name their child. In addition to the names I shared in the last post, I have since heard: Gearbox, End, Medicine, Urgent, Geography, Motorola, InBetween, and Diesel. Diesel’s last name was also Diesel, but the Nyanga or
Aside from hanging out with children and working on the waterwheel in Chirundu, Justin and I took a trip north into the central province before he returned back to the states. Justin has a friend serving in the Peace Corps in a village outside of Serenje, so we got a taste of village life for a couple days. The bucket showers, pit latrine, water source that was 400m away, and general sense of isolation (Marcus was actually close to Serenje relative to some of the other volunteers) gave me a more real perspective on the Peace Corps. It would be both an incredible and challenging experience. Luckily I can think about it for a couple years before applying. One of the many advantages of finishing college in a less-than-timely manner… Anyway, the highlight of the trip was celebrating the full moon with a bunch of children at a nearby farm. We taught the kids the hokey pokey as we danced and sang around a fire and they taught us a song about a man who was taken to the witchdoctor because he killed his daughter for marrying her cousin. Yes, this trip was a big dose of culture. Then we played versions of kick the can and duck duck goose before heading back through the fields to Marcus’ hut where we unsuccessfully tried to get a mouse out of the house before going to bed. All under the light of the full moon. Fantastic.
As this is my last post from
I have really enjoyed learning some Zambian English this summer. (I have basically failed to learn any substantial amount of the local languages.) So, here are some words and phrases that have taken on new roles in my vocabulary: Zambians use “this/that side” to indicate a place or direction regardless of how far away it is. It is usually accompanied by a vague sweep or flick of the hand. They also refer to each other as “this/that one.” I was rather taken aback for the first couple weeks because calling the girl standing right next to you “this one” seems really rude, though now I also use it regularly. To say “and so on” or “et cetera” Zambians say “what what,” “flip flops” are “tropicals,” and if someone says “we are leaving now” you still have some time whereas “now now” means you should be ready to go. In my first week in Zambia someone told me their last trip to Lusaka was a nightmare because “the robots were broken” which had me astounded (robots?! in Zambia?!) and thoroughly confused until this person saw the look on my face and explained that “robot” is the Zambian word for “traffic light.” One of the habits I have not picked up on, however, is the tendency to add a “y” or “u” sound to the end of words ending in consonants. Words in Bantu languages almost always end with a vowel sound, so the consonant-heavy English can be difficult to pronounce. The additional “y” and “u” sounds makes for some minor, though amusing transformations to words. For example, “disease” becomes “diseasey,” “childhood” becomes “childhudu,” and (my personal favorite) “dogma” becomes “doggyma.”
Many of the Zambians I have befriended this summer are happy to tell me about their culture, especially traditional beliefs. The Zambians who have shared the following beliefs generally good-naturedly make fun of them, though it’s good to keep in mind that for many villagers these ideas a parts of their cultural reality. Perhaps most relevant to my work on the waterwheel, I learned that there are two kinds of crocodile: crocodiles of god and crocodiles of people. Crocodiles of god are harmless, whereas crocodiles of people refer to those sent by a witchdoctor to attack a specific victim. Luckily for me, both types of crocodiles are supposedly afraid of mzungus. And crocodiles are not the only ones who fear white people. If someone has a dream about a mzungu it means they have been visited by a ghost, or if you see an albino on the street it’s best not to look at them and you should pull the collar of your shirt up to your mouth and spit lightly until they’ve passed. No one could really explain to me why you should spit into your shirt, it’s just something you do… Anyway, while the fact that
It is traditional beliefs such as these that make me question what development is or should be and how to go about it. I certainly believe that preserving culture is important, but I hate to see people made vulnerable and so routinely taken advantage of because of their beliefs in witchcraft or—another frequent source of conflict—the feudal chief/chiefness power structure. In my opinion, one of the best ways to counteract these oppressive structures seems to be education, but despite the current president’s “commitment to education” there are still thousands of children (especially girls) living in remote locations who don’t go to school. And lets just say there isn’t much of an emphasis on critical thinking in the schools kids are going to. Ahhh, pangono pangono (slowly slowly)…
Goodness, I think that’s enough. Ha. You may have thought that several paragraphs ago…
Thank you for the thoughtful reflections on Zambian culture. I share your feelings about salty, fattening food and enjoying any vegetables you can get! I miss you friend and am glad to get an update on your life!
ReplyDeleteFinally an update! Thank you very much. Hannah, I wish I could write as tongue in cheek and humorously as you do. Every time I have written a blog post, I always end up sounding serious and boring so I throw in a complimentary exclamation mark here and there for my persevering readers. Then again, I'm not in Thailand yet. Two weeks left and then we'll be closer than ever.
ReplyDelete